Blog

Sterling or 925 silver is popular among jewelers because it is classic. It’s also cheap, sturdy, and doesn’t tarnish. But what does 925 on jewelry mean? What does it mean on gold jewelry? Your queries will be answered here.

WHY IS 925 MARKED ON SILVER JEWELRY?


925 silver jewelry is made up of 92.5 percent silver and 7.5 percent additional metals like copper. Adding tougher metals to silver makes your jewelry more durable. It’s not always copper. Copper is preferable for delicate skin over zinc or nickel.

The 925 mark signifies high-quality silver. If your item is tiny, you may need a magnifying lens or loupe to locate the stamp on the back of the pendant or on the clasp of a necklace.

ISN’T THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 925 AND STERLING?


Silver 925 is sterling silver. Both are 92.5 percent silver, with the remaining 7.5 percent being copper, zinc, or nickel, respectively. To be deemed sterling, the rate must be at least 92.5%.

Sterling silver is required to have a purity of 92.5 percent globally. It is 95% pure silver in France. It’s important to note that items stamped with 800 or 900 contain less silver than 925 and aren’t 925.

Argentium Silver is a new silver. These are composed of 93.5 or 96% silver, with additional metals like germanium filling in the gaps.

SOLIDITY OF .925 SILVER


Silver, in its purest form, is soft. Making it an alloy improves its durability. Because of its toughness, this alloy may be worn every day without causing significant harm to the luster. Because silver tarnishes easily, it should be cleaned at least once a month if worn often. Sterling Bangles


CONSIDERATIONS FOR BUYING 925 JEWELRY


Not all silver is 925. Wearing jewelry made of these inexpensive metals, particularly earrings, may cause allergic responses or skin problems. Nickel, for example, may cause irritating and itchy contact dermatitis. Silver won’t irritate you.

DESCRIPTION OF 925 STAMPED ON GOLD JEWELRY


Most gold jewelry has 925 marks on it. Is it a fraud? No. It’s probably sterling silver beneath the gold coating on a piece marked 925. Gold vermeil (pronounced “ver-may”) is sterling silver plated with gold.

If it’s 10 karats, it’s about 42% gold and 2.5 microns thick in the USA.

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PLATED AND PURE GOLD

Look for GP, GEP, RGP, HGE, and HGP on gold-plated jewelry while inspecting for other stamps. You may always get it checked if you don’t notice any plated markings. Jewelers test your item by soaking a tiny piece of it in acid. They can tell the carat of gold and whether it’s plated.

WE LOVE STERLING SILVER & YOU SHOULD TOO


Silver, 925, is classic. It has been used for thousands of years in jewelry from rings to necklaces. Also, compared to gold or platinum, silver is a very cheap metal to acquire. Shiny, robust, yet not so pricey that a scratch will make you go crazy. Style it up or down depending on the occasion.

Start typing and press Enter to search

Shopping Cart
No products in the cart.