Jewelry often loses its color and shine after some time. This happens when our jewelry is exposed to dirt, dust, air, moisture, and soaps as they dull its sparkle and take off its glamour. If you are wondering how to clean jewelry at home, you are at the right place.
Luckily, by following a few steps at your home, you can easily clean almost all the jewelry items in your box. Before you head to a professional goldsmith to get your jewelry cleaned. You must know that all the pearls, rubies, diamonds, sapphires, and emeralds can get back their luster and shine again.
Well, to help you get back your jewelry’s luster, we are here to help you with some expert methods that will help you clean your jewelry easily and within your budget.
How to clean fine jewelry?
This is the most tried hack and has always stood up to the expectation. This is a DIY solution and can be quickly tried at home. For this you will need a dish of lukewarm water, a soft toothbrush, and a mild detergent.
- Now, to make the DIY solution, boil the water in a dish till it becomes lukewarm. Then add a pinch or two of any mild detergent available at your home. Dip the jewelry into this DIY solution and keep it in the solution for a few minutes.
- After some time, take out the jewelry item from the solution and start to rub it with any soft toothbrush. You will notice after some time, the oxide layer on the jewelry will start to wear off.
- Wash your jewelry in lukewarm water again to remove the dirt on it, and voila! Your jewelry is sparkling like a new one. You can also use a toothpick to reach some spots which are hard to reach with a toothbrush.
How to clean silver jewelry?
Cleaning your silver jewelry can be a bit of a task. To clean the silver jewelry, you need silver nail paint, baking soda, water, salt, and tinfoil.
Now, let’s start the process.
- Take a foil and place it in a pan that its shiny side faces upwards. The next step is to place the piece of jewelry you have into the pan and make sure it touches the foil. And then sprinkle salt and baking soda in the pan.
- And then, pour some boiling water into the pan till you make sure that the silver jewelry you put in the pan is saturated. Also, the number of tablespoons you put in the pan will depend upon the number of glasses of water you put into the pan. You’ll have to use one tablespoon of salt and baking soda with each glass of water.
Now, let the piece of jewelry sit in the pan till you make sure the dirt on it is starting to wear off. Once you make sure the whole layer is tarnished off the jewelry. Take it out of the pan and cool it down and dry it with the cloth. And your jewelry is ready to be worn again.
Preventing it from rusting.
How to prevent your jewelry from rusting is as important as how to clean jewelry regularly. To prevent your jewelry from getting rusted or wearing a tarnished layer on it. There are a few steps that you can follow and take care of your jewelry for a longer time. Following are some tips to be used in daily life:
- Remove your rings while you do the household chores like- mopping, washing dishes, gardening, etc.
- Never apply serum or lotion on your ring while you apply it to your body. It will make them dirty.
- Take out your jewelry before you go to sleep.
- Trap it in airtight containers, which are not exposed to moisture and air around.
- Prevent premature tarnishing of silver jewelry in some conditions.